Looking to get ahead in today’s competitive marketplace? Need to brush up your knowledge and skills on a particular topic? This fall, Loyola Marymount University offers a variety of one- and two-day business certificate courses to help professionals sharpen their mindset and skill set.
These small, interactive courses, developed by industry professionals and based on market feedback, are taught by accomplished faculty and industry leaders at the state-of-the-art LMU Playa Vista Campus, located in the heart of Silicon Beach. Courses cover hot topics in emerging technologies, conscious capitalism, workplace culture, personal branding, and sustainability, among others.
“We are preparing the leaders of today for the business of tomorrow,” said Joe O’Hannigan, associate dean of graduate business programs at LMU. “Our progressive vision aims to equip and empower each individual to discover and evolve into his or her best self in order to navigate the global, dynamic, interdisciplinary world to lead positive change.”
Today’s professionals must think, act, lead and adapt in new ways to perform well under changing and ambiguous conditions. They must continually upshift their communication, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and evolve their essential soft skills while staying on top of the technological and competitive disrupters affecting their organizations.
“The rapid pace of change in our global business environment challenges all of us to be agile professionals,” said Dayle Smith, dean of LMU College of Business Administration. “We must adapt to this change and become an integral part of the innovation culture that is transforming our organizations and the world around us.”
LMU Executive Education courses scheduled for fall include:
“Polarities: The Art and Science of Better Decision-Making”
Better, more effective problem solving is key to your success in this dynamic and complex marketplace. Learn how most business challenges are, in fact, polarities: competing options with “upside” and “downside” potential that must be clearly identified, successfully navigated and thoughtfully leveraged to achieve success in business.
Who are you? What makes you tick? What are your values? What do you stand for? What makes you happy and thrive? And how can you bring you — the best, most authentic you — to the world? This fast-paced, intimate and illuminating workshop requires an open mind, courage and creativity. Aside from getting a better sense of who you (really) are, participants will walk away with:
• a deeper sense of purpose – known to have positive effects on career and life
• satisfaction, physical health, interpersonal relationships and more
• higher levels of self-awareness, self-confidence, alignment and focus
• more authentic and distinctive sense of self
• greater awareness of strengths and weaknesses
• near- and long-term action plan.
“Leadership Skills for the Modern Workplace”
Leadership models are evolving rapidly. What skills do leaders need to be successful in today’s workplace? This program uses real-world exercises to hone your leadership abilities and create a culture where your talent will thrive and stay engaged.
• Understand the expectations employees have of the companies they work for and their leaders
• Explore emerging leadership models, gain a new perspective of the forgotten soft skills – particularly interpersonal skills – and their role in leadership success
• Discover the modern tools of leadership
• Hone your strategy and plan for building a company culture based on values and purpose above and beyond the product.
“Creating a Modern Workplace Culture”
Agility and flexibility are fast becoming the keys to success, demanding companies create a culture based on continuous learning, beyond the functional skills necessary for the job. The new paradigm needs to include the broader life and higher-order skills – the uniquely human skills. In this course, you will get all the tools and techniques necessary to structure the learning culture to create a productive and sustainable learning based modern workplace.
For the latest information on course offerings, visit execed.lmu.edu.
In addition, the LMU College of Business Administration is hosting two events for local business professionals and entrepreneurs at the LMU Playa Vista Campus.
“Storytelling Builds Community” Conference – Oct. 12, 2019
In partnership with the Los Angeles Times, this conference teaches participants how to leverage storytelling to become a more effective leader, drive business (build brand, create cultures), build stronger teams, and create opportunities to impact society. Today’s executives need to apply their creativity, critical thinking and problem-solving skills quickly and effectively to increasingly complex issues. What is a common denominator that increases the odds of success? Framing that thinking, that action, in story (the leader’s story, the organization’s story, the stakeholder’s story). Connecting with those stakeholders (internal or external) through storytelling is organic, inclusive and collaborative, but frequently bungled. This LMU conference will inspire and instruct you to be a better storyteller.
Women in Leadership Summit – Nov. 8, 2019
Help shape the future of Silicon Beach for women. This summit will engage and inspire, build community, break down barriers and define your personal purpose.
• Learn the importance of mentorship from industry and academic experts
• Participants will be immersed with others who have a growth mindset
• Join a community that gives first and prioritizes collaboration to make an impact.
For more information on these and other events organized by LMU College of Business Administration, visit cba.lmu.edu/events.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Executive Education (March 11): LMU Enters Post-Graduate Business Certificate Arena
- Executive Education: Yes and Yes: An LMU Approach to Career and Business Growth, with Skill and Purpose
- Spotlight on Education: LMU Expands Graduate Education in Silicon Beach
- Executive Education: The Cal Lutheran Executive MBA: Preparing You for Immediate Impact
- Women's Council & Awards 2018: A Look at the Michigan Ross Executive MBA Program in Los Angeles
- Executive Education: The Cal Lutheran Executive MBA
- Executive Education (March 12): Beyond Success - A Program That Prepares MBA Candidates for Immediate Impact
- 2019 FGPC: Elevate Your Business with Continuing Ed Programs