Jeff Skoll’s Participant Media is shuttering its digital division, TakePart.
The social impact-focused news website that launched in 2008 and also functioned as a marketing arm for Participant’s film division will no longer operate after the end of this year, according to a source at the company.
Participant Chief Executive David Linde told Variety last week that the company had decided to implement “a strategic move to shift away from running a standalone site.” Several layoffs are expected as the division is folded. The news comes just weeks after the company announced it acquired Rainn Wilson’s digital video company, SoulPancake, for an undisclosed amount.
A company spokeswoman declined to disclose the number of staff affected by the layoffs. However, she said that while TakePart will no longer exist in its current form, the company intends to launch a new product next year.
Read More: Stars’ Media Sites Draw Major Players Orbit
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- News Site Dials Up Digital Content
- Silicon Beach Report April 24: Upfront Ventures Joins Jeff Skoll, Paul Allen Investing Arms in $119M Sale of TrueCar Shares
- Entertainment Firm Pulls Plug on Cable Venture
- LA 500: David Linde
- Participant Media Launches Film Fund
- LA 500: Jeff Skoll
- Stars’ Media Sites Draw Major Players Into Orbit
- Oscar Winner Will Retain Socially Conscious Focus