Attn: Inc. of West Hollywood, a politically liberal news and advocacy site, has raised $18.6 million.
The digital content company will use the infusion of cash to hire more video creators and editors, add more technology to its audience development efforts and expand onto new video platforms.
The media startup was founded in 2014 by Jarrett Moreno and Matthew Segal, co-founders of OurTime.org, a nonprofit liberal advocacy website. The company heavily focuses its distribution efforts on Facebook and mobile viewing. Co-founder and editor-in-chief Segal said his company isn’t a traditional news agency; rather it is an issue-based media company.
“We are creating content around topics that aren’t being reported on CNN, MSNBC or Fox News,” said Segal. “We are covering the (presidential) election from topical driven matters rather than a horse-race approach.”
Topics that Attn: Inc. has focused on include drug policy, feminism, LGBT issues, income inequality and college debt, he said.
The company is on pace for 10 million monthly web visits and 100 million monthly video views in February, said Segal.
Its funding round was led by Evolution Media Partners with participation from Marc Rowan, RTS Ventures, Paul Wachter, Main Street Advisors, Seacrest Global Group, Cash Warren and Ross Levinsohn. Attn: Inc. previously raised a $4.1 million seed round.
You May Also Like
- Silicon Beach Deal Flow: Feb. 19
- Silicon Beach Report July 25: Modular Construction Startup Emagispace Raises $4.2 Million
- Tastemade Raises $40 Million
- Hello Giggles Sells to Time Inc.
- Meditation App Headspace Raises $34 Million from Celebrity Investors
- Jukin Media Inks Deal with Huffington Post
- Activision’s Quarterly Revenue Beats Estimates
- Silicon Beach Report Nov. 11: Snap Inc. Opens Spectacles Store in NYC