Airbnb to pay hotel taxes to City of Los Angeles, Snapchat is in talks for Hollywood TV shows, SpaceX lands fifth rocket, and more.
Airbnb to Pay Hotel Taxes to City of Los Angeles
Airbnb will begin to collect and pay hotel taxes on behalf of L.A. properties that are rented on its website starting Aug. 1, per a three-year agreement with the City of Los Angeles, reports L.A. Business Journal. Previously, hosts were responsible for paying taxes to the city, but now the short-term rental company will assume the responsibility.
SpaceX Launches, Lands Fifth Rocket
Space Exploration Technologies Corp. launched and then landed back on earth one of its rockets, which was on a resupply mission to the International Space Station on Monday, reports Spaceflight Now. This is the fifth time the Hawthorne-based company has landed a rocket vertically.
Tetra Tech Earns $13M Contract from NASA & USAID
Engineering firm Tetra Tech Inc. of Pasadena was awarded a $13 million contract from the U.S. Agency for International Development and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration to promote the use of geospatial technology to combat the effects of climate change in West Africa, according to a press release. The company will train decision makers on using satellite imagery and geospatial data to make more informed decisions in areas such as food security and forest management.
Snapchat in Talks for Hollywood TV Shows
Snapchat is in talks with TV networks and studios to host shows within its Discover section, according to sources cited by DigiDay. The company wants to transform the news publishing channel into a destination for premium videos.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 24: Digital Domain Partners with World Surf League for 360-Degree Content
- Silicon Beach Report Oct. 11: Snapchat Courting Hollywood Producers
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 30: Washio Folds Operations Following Inability to Find Buyer
- Silicon Beach Report July 19: Pasadena Avatar-Generating Startup Oben Inc. Raises $5 Million
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 20: Whatsapp Updates with Snapchat-Like Vanishing Content
- Silicon Beach Report Nov. 29: Proofpoint to Acquire Secure Browser Developer Weblife for $66 Million
- Silicon Beach Report Sept. 9: Honest Co. in Sales Talks
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 15: Snapchat to Acquire Search Engine App Vurb for $100M