Construction has started in Shanghai on what will be the world’s largest Disney Store, according to Chinese media reports on Tuesday.
The 53,000-square-foot complex in the Lujiazui Finance District features a retail store and a Disney-themed outdoor plaza . The store, which will open next year, is the first on mainland by the Burbank entertainment and media company.
The store will feature a diverse collection of Disney products by Chinese and international designers and state-of-the-art technology for customers to interact with characters and stories. Characters from Disney, Pixar and Marvel, as well as its recently acquired Star Wars franchise, will be featured, according to a story published by the official English-language website of China News Service.
Disney also is separately building in Shanghai a $5 billion theme park with joint venture partner, Shanghai Shendi Group. The park is expected to open at the end of next year.
Shares closed down 14 cents, or less than 1 percent, to $83.16 on the New York Stock Exchange.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Newest Disney Resort to Have Chinese Flavor
- Universal Plans Beijing Theme Park
- Disney Opens Behemoth Shanghai Store
- Disney Theme Park Aims To Ride Chinese Culture
- Disney Discussing Korean Park
- Movie Studio Widens Focus
- Universal Opens First Beijing Office
- Architecture Firms Have Designs on Bustling China