Cinedigm Corp. on Wednesday said it will partner with convention organizer Wizard World Inc. to create a new digital network aimed at sci-fi, fantasy and anime fans.
The Century City digital cinema company said the channel, which has not yet been named, will feature sci-fi, horror, fantasy, action, adventure, gamer, anime, animation and comedy content. The joint venture with Wizard World, which is based in Manhattan Beach, will include an e-commerce market for both collectible and exclusive merchandise.
There will be free streaming and premium subscription options, with the paid service providing access to Wizard World Comic Con events, panels and talent. Cinedigm noted that while the service would attract fans of the popular San Diego conference, Comic-Con, there is no direct affiliation with the organizer of that event.
Cinedigm has a library of more than 33,000 films and TV episodes, with 650 digital content partnerships. Wizard World, known for its pop-culture multimedia conventions, expects to offer 16 Wizard World Comic Con conventions this year.
“We are excited to be diving further into this emerging, high-growth business and have found an ideal partner in Wizard World for this Comic Con-targeted digital network,” Cinedigm Chief Executive Chris McGurk said in a statement.
Cinedigm shares closed up 5 cents, or 1.7 percent, to $2.89 on the Nasdaq. Wizard World shares were unchanged at 40 cents on the Over-the-Counter Bulletin Board.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- L.A. Launch List: March 6
- Super Heroes Fight Over Fanboys
- With Attendance Over 100,000, Comic-Con's Not Just for Geeks
- Super Powered?
- Briefs: City Attorney’s Office Closes 500 Medical Marijuana Shops, Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. to launch Comic-Con channel
- A Look Ahead: What’s on the agenda for Los Angeles business in the coming week
- Geeks Are Chic In Hollywood
- Satellite Provider Wants More Shows in Rotation