The Sherman Oaks-based real estate investment firm MWest Holdings purchased the 11-story, 132-unit Santa Fe Lofts at 121 E. 6th St. in downtown Los Angeles for $68.5 million, or nearly $519,000 per unit, in partnership with GreenOak Real Estate of New York, with a $6 million rehab planned soon for the building.
The previous owner was Capital Foresight, a developer located near Studio City. MWest Holdings said it plans to keep the property as mixed-use with multifamily and retail.
The deal’s brokers were Cushman & Wakefield Executive Managing Director Michael Condon, Jr., Senior Associate Kelli Snyder and Associate Brianna Demus.
The Beaux Arts-style building was commissioned by industrialist William Kerckhoff, and designed by the architecture firm of Morgan and Walls. It was built in 1908 and got renovated 97 years later.
In the interim, an annex was added in 1916. One of the building’s owners was Santa Fe Railroad, which bought it in 1933 and occupied seven floors for more than 50 years.
“We look forward to providing the modern amenities and welcoming feel that renters value while restoring and showcasing the unique qualities that make the Santa Fe Lofts a standout property,” said Karl Slovin, MWest Holdings president, in a statement.
MWest now owns three adaptive reuse projects downtown as well as 10 historic buildings throughout the Los Angeles area.
“This type of sale in downtown L.A. is rare; only 20 sales of this property type have been recorded in the area in the past 17 years,” Condon said in a statement.
Real estate reporter Ciaran McEvoy can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (323) 556-8337.
You May Also Like
- MWest Holdings Buys 128,200-SF Complex in San Pedro for $36.3M
- PK Retail Leases 52,000 SF for U.S. Headquarters, Store in DTLA
- Strength Continues in Q1 as Offices Fill Space
- HQ Creative Purchases Santa Monica Office for $13.2M
- CitizenM Hotels Buys Downtown Parking Lot for $13.5M
- Liberty Property Trust Acquires Commerce Industrial Property for $93 Million
- MWest Holdings Buys Park Wilshire for $27M
- Mixed-Use Development in Koreatown to Include 121 Apartments, Nearly 5,000 SF Retail Space