Before companies will allow their IT budgets to shift priorities or increase to accommodate new technologies, a case will have to be made to support the return on such investments.
A team should be assembled to identify ways to leverage technologies. Members should include personnel from multiple levels in the company. With proper due diligence, analysis and review, management and the team can ensure that IT resources are aligned with business requirements.
A customer relationship management system can provide a single view of the customer base and should prove very helpful in learning customer needs and priorities. How a company competes in the marketplace also can help focus the team’s efforts to identify opportunities.
Management should also consider outsourcing commodity requirements. This will help reduce or shift IT spending to strategic projects.
Such technology-based transformations take on average about 12-18 months to fully implement. It is, as they say, a marathon, not a sprint. Consider placing a higher priority on those ideas that directly support how the company competes in the market. Management should develop an IT road map of approved, prioritized IT projects and review it on a quarterly basis.
How a company leverages technology has an impact that is felt by a broad array of internal and external stakeholders. With so much riding on how IT is utilized― providing products and services, increasing efficiencies, optimizing product usage, customizing client engagement― management must allow IT leaders to play a primary role in the strategic direction of the company.
For more information on RSM US LLP’s technology management consulting practice, please contact George Casey.
GEORGE CASEY PRINCIPAL, RSM US LLP (415) 848-5395 GEORGE.CASEY@RSMUS.COM
You May Also Like
- CUSTOM CONTENT: RSM Manufacturing Monitor Survey Results
- Most Influential Women in Accounting: DARCY WILSON-JONES
- Most Influential Women in Accounting: KAREN JONG
- American Apparel’s Turn-Around Consultant Leaves
- Economic Forecast & Trends 2018: DEAN JOAQUIN
- Salute to Veterans: RSM Thanks Our Nation’s Veterans
- State of Accounting: Doing Business in LA: Current Challenges and Potential Opportunities
- Intellectual Property & Licensing Law Roundtable: Intellectual Property Cyber Theft on the Rise