Last year, Okorie Ramsey, CPA, CGMA, PMP, was elected president of the California Society of CPAs (CalCPA.org) Education Foundation for 2017–18 by the CalCPA Council at its meeting at the Encore Hotel. Ramsey has served on the board since 2010 and most recently held the position of first vice president.
The Foundation, which has 45 state partners, offers more than 1,400 live and webcast continuing professional education (CPE) courses to CPAs and other financial professionals.
In accepting his new position, Ramsey said that educating young and seasoned accounting and finance professionals is undergoing unprecedented change. How and where they take training to keep their clients, companies and firms updated is evolving rapidly, he noted. He said the Foundation is “developing innovative products and services to meet and exceed the needs of our customers in an extremely competitive environment.”
He said that the Foundation continues to devise options and methods to deliver quality and compliant CPE. These include creating products such as 10-minute learning units called nano and exploring additional curriculums to provide more strategic and engaging learning opportunities for finance and accounting professionals.
Ramsey is vice president, finance compliance officer and SOX leader for Kaiser Foundation Health Plan in Oakland, California. He represents California on the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Council and is a former chair of the Accounting Career Awareness Program for high school students in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Ramsey is a lifetime member of the National Association of Black Accountants and serves as an adjunct professor for the MBA program at San Francisco State University. He holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration (accounting emphasis) from San Francisco State University and a Kaiser Permanente Executive Leadership Program Certificate from Harvard Business School.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Most Influential Minority CPAs: CalCPA Chair Stresses Importance of Diversity, Financial Literacy and Increased Student Outreach
- Most Influential Women in Accounting: New Exam Available to Obtain New Fair Value Measurement Credential
- 2019 Most Influential Minority CPAs: CFOs Cite Talent Needs, the Economy and Social Media Among Top Concerns
- Influential Women in Accounting: AICPA Recognizes Innovative Accounting Educators
- Influential Women in Accounting: ANITA WU
- Most Influential Minority CPAs: Business Executives’ Optimism about U.S. Economy Hits Post-Recession High for Second Consecutive Quarter, AICPA Survey Finds
- The Business of Accounting: CPA.com and CaseWare Announce Preparation, Compilation and Review Solution for CPA Firms
- Economic Forecast & Trends 2018: Business Executives’ Optimism about U.S. Economy Hits a Post-Recession High