The $350 million investment round received by Space Exploration Technologies Corp. in July ranked as the fourth-largest financing round in the United States in the third financial quarter, according to a venture capital funding report produced by PricewaterhouseCoopers, MoneyTree and CB Insights.
Hawthorne-based SpaceX’s recent funding round reportedly valued the company at $21 billion. The round is part of a larger trend in venture investing towards mega-rounds of more than $100 million. Mega-rounds accounted for $7.6 billion, or 40 percent of total funding, in the United States, according to the report.
Read More: Full VC Funding Report
Venture capital investment growth was lukewarm in terms of deals and dollars invested in companies based in Los Angeles and Orange County, according to the report. Total deals decreased by one transaction to 93 deals in the third quarter compared to the second, while dollars invested inched upward 4 percent to $1.2 billion.
Technology reporter Garrett Reim can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @garrettreim for the latest in L.A. tech news.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Deals & Dealmakers: L.A. Firms Get VC in Q3
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 22: Kobe Bryant Launches $100M Venture Capital Fund
- SpaceX Scheduled to Nearly Triple Launches This Year
- Silicon Beach Report Oct. 23: Scott Painter’s Next Auto Venture Secures $1 Billion Debt, Equity Funding
- Tech Startups Lose Some Charge With Backers
- Silicon Beach Report Feb 22: Kylie Jenner’s Tweet Cuts $1.3 Billion of Snap's Market Value
- Aerospace Pioneer Circles Moon Trip
- SpaceX to Build Hyperloop Test Track in Hawthorne