A state Court of Appeal panel today affirmed City Controller Ron Galperin’s authority to audit two training institutes run by the powerful International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 18, and funded by ratepayer money through the Department of Water and Power.
The union has resisted efforts by city officials to audit the Joint Training Institute and the Joint Safety Institute. The DWP has transferred an estimated $40 million into the trusts since they were established in 2000.
The ruling affirmed a lower-court judgment that the controller had the right to audit the nonprofits’ books on an annual basis.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Los Angeles DWP Chief Ron Nichols Resigns
- L.A. Halts Review of DWP Nonprofits, Cites Lack of Cooperation
- City Seeks Receiver for DWP Institutes
- DWP Officials Cut Off Funding for Two Nonprofits
- L.A. City Controller Runs Numbers by Business
- DWP Audit Stalls after Auditors Take Too Many Notes, City Hall Sources Say
- Morning Headlines
- Steak Dinner, On Us