Carson’s City Council could decide Tuesday evening to approve the construction of an NFL stadium jointly proposed by the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders.
While questions remain about the details of the $1.7 billion proposal, supporters of the stadium plan have gathered more than 15,000 signatures in favor of the project, and at least two council members support the plan. The council could decide Tuesday to OK the project, or possibly schedule a public referendum on the project – a path initially proposed earlier this year.
Councilman Albert Robles, a Carson native who will also be sworn in as the city’s mayor Tuesday, said he is in favor of the stadium, calling it “a phenomenal opportunity for our community to showcase itself,” but has questions about a financial analysis of the proposal released ahead of Tuesday’s meeting.
“If those questions are answered to our satisfaction, I think we will proceed like Inglewood did,” Robles said.
Councilwoman Lula Davis-Holmes said she would welcome the stadium.
“I’m excited about it,” Davis-Holmes said. “We’ve been trying to develop this land for over forty years now.”
The Council commissioned the financial analysis, which found that the stadium deal could cost city taxpayers if it becomes home to only one NFL team. If two teams use the stadium, the analysis found the project would boost city coffers.
Another proposed stadium, in Inglewood, is backed by Stan Kroenke, the owner of the St. Louis Rams. That project won unanimous approval from the Inglewood City Council in February. The stadium would be built at the site of the former Hollywood Park racetrack.
The proposed Carson stadium would be built on the 168-acre site of a former landfill near the 405 Freeway.