For its annual research, Oasis, a Paychex Company, conducted a national survey of 300 business leaders who employed 5 to 99 employees from a broad cross-section of industries. The results are now available in its white paper 2021 Priorities for Business Leaders: A U.S. Survey, which reveal that workplace safety during the COVID-19 pandemic is the top priority among those surveyed. Oasis noted in a recent press release that shifting priorities due to COVID-19 have pushed talent acquisition from the top of the list—a spot it has held for the past two years. Employee safety and well-being are now top priorities in the year ahead.
• Offering competitive compensation
and benefits (including employee assistance programs): 31%
• Developing employees and future leaders for succession: 29%
• Attracting strong, competent management and dedicated, capable staff: 28%
• Maintaining ongoing regulatory compliance: 28%
The press release highlighted other key findings from the survey, including:
• Keeping employees engaged and productive is a higher priority now than it was at the start of 2020, with 16% reporting it is a “much higher priority now.”
• 36% of business leaders report that they want to make employee benefits easier to access and more affordable. 33% want to improve the overall benefits they offer in order to remain competitive when recruiting and retaining top talent.
This trend of companies increasing their focus on workplace wellness and safety highlights once again the necessity for HR professionals to work closely alongside an organization’s environment, health, and safety (EHS) team to effectively address hazards facing the workforce.
Oasis is a national Professional Employer Organization (PEO) specializing in providing HR services, employee benefits administration, payroll and tax administration, risk management services, and staffing solutions to businesses throughout the United States. For more information, visit
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.