The company is committed to 360 degrees of caring: to developing our employee-owners, exceeding customer expectations, innovating in its industry, and serving the communities in which its people live and work.
DIVERSITY AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT
Led by vice president, Simeon Terry, Austin Commercial has a fully-staffed Diversity Affairs team of employee-owners with a 100% focus on leading the organization’s inclusion efforts and is a direct reflection of Austin’s long-standing and award-winning commitment and passion to enhancing procurement economic development opportunities for minority, women-owned, small, and disadvantaged business entities (MWSDBE) on its projects.
MENTOR PROTÉGÉ PROGRAM
Since 1998, Austin Commercial has had a formalized Mentor Protégé Program. Each year, this program brings in 10-20 minority- and women-owned businesses for 12 weeks of intensive and strategically designed workshops. These workshops are facilitated by senior leadership and are designed to help the firms grow their company’s capacity both financially and with personnel experience. Through this Mentor Protégé Program, Austin has mentored over 400 firms and has paid out more than $3 billion dollars to those firms through various partnerships on our projects.
COMMUNITY WORKFORCE & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS
In addition, Austin Commercial focuses on improving workforce development opportunities within the communities we work by participating in mentoring, training, and education of existing diverse businesses and local high school and college students. These efforts and initiatives are bolstered by Austin’s own commitment to recognizing, embracing and supporting workplace diversity and inclusiveness at every level of our own organization.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Here are some recent recognitions and awards the company has received:
• 2021 Los Angeles Business Journal Diversity, Inclusion + Equity Award for Organization of the Year: Mid-Size Company Winner
• 2021 AGC Diversity & Inclusion Excellence Grand Award Winner
• 2020 AGC Diversity & Inclusion Excellence Grand Award Winner
• 2019 AGC Diversity & Inclusion Excellence Award “Large Contractor”
• 2018 AGC Diversity & Inclusion Excellence Award “Large Contractor”
• 2019 ABC National Diversity Excellence Award “Large Contractor”
• 2020 ABC National Diversity Excellence Award “Large Contractor”
• 2017 Airport Minority Advisory Council Innovation & Inclusion Award
Information for this article was provided by Austin.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Making (Business) Sense
- Many Organizations Miss the Mark on Diversity & Inclusion
- Using Incentives to Capture Greater Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Gains
- Learning from the Challenges of 2020
- Minorities of Influence: CPAS - CalCPA Forms Special Commission on Diversity and Inclusion to Address Challenges
- LABJ Insider
- Diversity, Inclusion + Equity Awards: Organization of the Year (Medium)
- Leaders of Influence - Lenders: SBA Prioritizes Small Businesses in the Paycheck Protection Program