Talent may be equally distributed, but opportunity is not. STEM Advantage mentors, prepares and inspires women and underserved communities to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). We provide economic and social mobility to underserved groups, while providing a vetted pipeline of diverse talent to businesses.
Through partnerships and a collective impact model with businesses, professional and industry organizations, STEM Advantage is a uniquely holistic program designed specifically to level the playing field and help low-income, first generation college students attending a public university graduate and launch STEM careers, and then “Pay It Forward” as role models and mentors to help others. If they can see it, they can be it!
STEM Advantage gives students, who are mostly low-income, first generation college students, attending California State University, the largest and most ethnically diverse four-year public university system in the nation, many of the benefits that students attending a private university receive, including paid internships to help students gain real-world experience; mentors to provide a role model, support, guidance and coaching; scholarships to attend classes full-time and graduate with less student debt; professional development and career panels to prepare for their job search; and community, including a sense of belonging and opportunities to build their network.
STEM Advantage offers the program to select STEM students attending all five CSU campuses in the greater Los Angeles region, including Cal State Dominguez Hills, Cal State LA, Cal State Long Beach, Cal State Northridge, and Cal Poly Pomona, plus Cal State Fullerton.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- 2021 CRE AWARDS: COMMUNITY IMPACT DEAL OF THE YEAR
- Diversity, Inclusion + Equity Awards: Team of the Year
- 2021 Economic Forecast: First Application Round Ends for Small Business COVID-19 Relief Grant Program
- Beauty Awards Honoree: Social Responsibility Award
- Beauty Awards Honoree: Product of the Year
- Beauty Awards Honoree: Service Provider of the Year
- Beauty Awards Honoree: Clean Beauty Award
- Diversity, Inclusion + Equity Panel Speaker: Ken Le