Director of Legal Affairs
Michael Marchand graduated from the Pepperdine University School of Law in 2011. He practiced litigation with a focus on intellectual property and commercial disputes until 2015, when he joined Headspace as the company’s first legal hire. Since then, Marchand has overseen the legal function at Headspace, successfully shepherding company growth from 50+ to 300+ employees and raising more than $200 million in investment capital. Headspace provides mindfulness and meditation content to over 65 million users worldwide.
Marchand’s core responsibilities at Headspace include risk identification and mitigation with respect to a variety of areas of substantive law, particularly consumer protection, data privacy, corporate governance, employment, intellectual property and regulatory compliance. Marchand has also drafted and negotiated several key partnerships and sales agreements with world-class brands such as Microsoft, Amazon, Nike, the NBA, Spotify, and Snap.
Dedicated to giving back, Marchand also serves as a volunteer of the Friends of el Faro — an organization dedicated to the improvement of the lives of the children of “Casa Hogar Sion” — an orphanage in Tijuana, Mexico. Marchand is also a frequent donor to civil rights organizations such as the ACLU and the Southern Poverty Law Center.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- CFO Awards: RSM Middle Market
- Leaders in Law: Pepperdine School of Law Responds to Shifting Demands of Legal Industry
- 2020 Leaders in Law Finalists: Rising Star of the Year
- 2019 Women's Council & Awards: Executive of the Year
- 2019 Leaders in Law Finalists: Nonprofit General Counsel of the Year
- 2019 CTO Awards Winner: CTO OF THE YEAR - Emerging Company
- Leaders in Law 2020: Redefining Legal Education
- Mall Magnate Caruso Gives $50 Million to Pepperdine Law School