THERESA MURPHY, RN
Chief Nursing Officer
USC Verdugo Hills Hospital
Theresa Murphy is the chief nursing officer at USC Verdugo Hills Hospital, responsible for nursing services, quality and safety initiatives, and nursing professional development. Her interests include advancing nursing practice through the understanding of the California Nurse Practice Act, leadership development and organizational structures that support innovative care delivery. Murphy oversaw the opening of the hospital’s NICU. Under her watch, the hospital was designated a ‘Center of Excellence for Hip and Knee Surgery,’ and the emergency department nurses were honored with the Lantern Award, one of the top awards for emergency nursing nationwide. Her leadership has contributed to a 65% reduction in patient harm events. She also advocates for nurses at the regional and state level through her board memberships. She takes mentorship seriously and volunteers to train emerging health care leaders.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Top Women Leaders in Health Care: MARY VIRGALLITO
- Top Doctors in Los Angeles: CARL R. CHUDNOFSKY
- Health Care Panel & Awards: HOSPITAL CEO OR PRESIDENT OF THE YEAR
- Health Care Panel & Awards: HOSPITAL EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR
- Top Women Leaders in Health Care: MARCIA LYSAGHT, DNP, RN
- LA 500: Thomas E. Jackiewicz
- Thomas E. Jackiewicz
- Top Women Leaders in Health Care: STEPHANIE L. HALL, MD, MHA, FACEP