Dr. Dennis J. Slamon serves as director of clinical/translational research, and as director of the Revlon/UCLA Women’s Cancer Research Program at JCCC. He is a professor of medicine, chief of the Division of Hematology/Oncology and executive vice chair for research for UCLA’s Department of Medicine. Slamon also serves as director of the medical advisory board for the National Colorectal Cancer Research Alliance, promoting advances in colorectal cancer. For 12 years, Dr. Slamon and his colleagues conducted the laboratory and clinical research that led to the development of the new breast cancer drug Herceptin, which targets a specific genetic alteration found in about 25 percent of breast cancer patients.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- UCLA Researcher Dennis Slamon to Share in $1M Prize for Cancer Research
- TOP DOCTORS LOS ANGELES: ONCOLOGY
- Top Doctors in Los Angeles: HEINZ-JOSEF LENZ
- Los Angeles' Top Doctors: Beth Karlan
- Health Care Leadership Forum & Awards: USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center - Top Cancer/Oncology Program of the Year
- Top Doctors Los Angeles: Stephen Sener