Executive Vice President, Chief Human Resource Officer, General Counsel
YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles
The YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles (YMCA|LA) is a remarkable 501(c)(3) organization, dedicated to nurturing the potential of every child, teen and family, improving the community’s health and fostering a sense of social responsibility. Overseeing much of the charity’s success is its outstanding executive vice president, chief human resources officer and general counsel, Dana Lipman.
Going on four years, Lipman has managed all HR, risk and compliance functions for the YMCA|LA; namely, talent acquisition and recruitment, compensation and benefits and employee relations. She has done so all the while supervising the charity’s legal matters, including employment litigation, general litigation, corporate matters, workers’ compensation, unemployment, contracts and leases, and so much more. This is no easy task given the breadth of the non-profit. The YMCA|LA operates 26 branch locations in and around greater Los Angeles and engages more than 3,500 employees and volunteers. It’s Lipman’s job to direct and manage this workforce as well as to lead the YMCA|LA’s fast-moving legal department.
In that capacity, she oversees all legal matters that impact the organization; ensures compliance with applicable state and federal regulations and disclosure requirements; manages and supervises outside counsel; provides operational oversight and management of all HR programs and processes; and works to safeguard the charity’s data security. According to her colleagues, she performs all of the above with aplomb.
Her years in private practice prepared her well for her current role as the YMCA|LA’s GC. She’s an expert in the area of labor and employment law after more than two decades handling related cases and transactions at blue chip law firms.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- 2019 In-House Counsel Nominees: Dana Hirsch Lipman
- Leaders in Law 2018 Winners: Public Mid-Size Company In-House Counsel of the Year - Lisa L. Kim
- Top Women Attorneys in Los Angeles: Jennifer Woo Burns
- Leaders in Law 2018: In-House Counsel Nominees - Francesca Brooks
- Leaders in Law 2018 In-House Counsel of the Year Finalists: Francesca Brooks
- Leaders in Law Finalists - Corporate Counsel Awards: PRIVATE COMPANY CORPORATE COUNSEL
- Leaders in Law 2018: In-House Counsel Nominees - Molly Coleman
- Leaders in Law 2018: In-House Counsel Nominees - Courtney Powers