Hilary Dessouky, general counsel for Patagonia, has based her career on the belief that lawyers can and must drive the success of businesses working to create positive change for people and the planet. She joined Patagonia in 2012 and has had the chance to work every day since then to advance the company’s mission: “We’re in business to save our home planet.”
As the company has grown, Dessouky has helped navigate an increasingly complex legal environment as general counsel, which in turn allows Patagonia to continue advance its mission in broad-reaching and innovative ways. She also has been able to help shape Patagonia’s approach to corporate governance through its benefit corporation status, which is based on a commitment to prioritizing social and environmental considerations alongside financial return. Before joining Patagonia, Dessouky was the chief counsel for the Levi’s brand business unit at Levi Strauss & Co.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- 2019 Leaders in Law Finalists: General Counsel of the Year – Large Private Company
- 2019 Leaders in Law Finalists: General Counsel of the Year - Public Company
- Leaders in Law Honorees - Corporate Counsel Awards: LILY YAN HUGHES
- Leaders in Law Honorees - Corporate Counsel Awards: LEILA ROUHI
- FASHION AWARDS: SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY AWARD
- 2019 In-House Counsel Nominees: Carla Christofferson
- 2019 Leaders in Law Honoree: General Counsel of the Year – Large Private Company
- Leaders in Law 2018 Winners: Private Large Company In-House Counsel of the Year - Richard B. Levy