Late last year, CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion, the largest CEO-driven coalition to advance diversity and inclusion within the workplace, announced three key actions at its second annual CEO Closed-Door Session. These actions support the coalition’s foundational commitments to broaden awareness of unconscious bias and encourage difficult conversations about diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
“The bold actions announced today will help leaders draw on our collective power to drive change,” said Tim Ryan, US Chairman and Senior Partner of PwC and chair of the CEO Action steering committee. “Together, we have made unprecedented progress, but we must continue to challenge ourselves in new ways to foster more open, inclusive and diverse workplaces and communities.”
The three actions announced include:
• Launching the new “Check Your Blind Spots” unconscious bias mobile tour with experiential elements and online resources to give people the opportunity to learn about and explore ways to mitigate unconscious bias in their everyday lives. The tour will make 100 stops across the country and engage one million people.
• Initiating the “I Act On” pledge, in conjunction with the unconscious bias mobile tour, individuals can commit to action through a personal pledge to mitigate any personal unconscious biases, and act on driving more inclusive behaviors in their everyday lives. Individuals can also take the pledge via ceoaction.com/pledge.
• Hosting a “Day of Understanding,” the largest conversation about diversity and inclusion in the business community and beyond. More than 150 signatories will come together to take bold action and host a day of candid conversations within each of their respective companies surrounding race, gender and age in order to further embrace differences in our organizations.
In addition to discussing the new actions, CEOs and presidents will collaborate during working sessions and hear from employees about their real-life experiences at signatory companies. Speakers Earvin ‘Magic’ Johnson and Van Jones will also offer their perspectives on key diversity and inclusion topics.
The coalition will also release “Beyond the Bottom Line”, a five-part landmark series featuring conversations between CEOs and their employees, unpacking diversity and inclusion issues confronting the workplace today hosted on the Huffington Post’s Purpose + Profit platform, and sponsored by PwC.
“The collaborative sessions, direct CEO-to-CEO engagement and the new actions announced today are tangible examples of how CEO Action realizes the significant role individual CEOs can play in continuing to advance diversity and inclusion,” said David Taylor, Chairman, President and CEO of The Procter & Gamble Company. “As leaders in our industries, organizations and communities, creating positive change and making an impact is our responsibility.”
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Diversity and Inclusion: Diversity Isn’t Enough - Why Inclusion Must be an Equal Priority
- Most Influential Minority CPAs: New Report on Diversity and Inclusion Unveils Survey Data on Key Practices
- Diversity & Inclusion Summit 2018: Connecting People and Uniting the World Through Diversity and Inclusion
- 2019 Women's Council & Awards: Attracting and Retaining Women in the Workplace
- Women's Council & Awards 2018: Getting to Equal in Los Angeles: Driving Equality in the Workplace
- Diversity and Inclusion: Publisher's Letter
- Los Angeles Business Journal Women's Council: Women in Research Releases Study Data Examining the Impact of Industry Equality Initiatives
- Women's Council & Awards 2018: Gender Parity: Making the Business Case for Diversity in the Workplace