SpaceX considers Starship launch test; Backstage Capital fails to raise fund; Gravitas Ventures offers streaming service
Arlan Hamilton, the co-founder of West Hollywood-based and minority-focused investment fund Backstage Capital is scaling back her plans, according to Axios, which said Hamilton was unable to raise the planned $36 million fund. Instead she will transition the business to an accelerator, called Backstage Studio. The firm will also reportedly lay off employees to cut costs. Hamilton told Axios that Backstage Studio has “generated $3 million over the past 14 months via corporate sponsorships,” and may continue to raise the fund at a later date.
There’s a new streaming firm in town. Film distribution outfit Gravitas Ventures, based in El Segundo, is launching a $4.99 monthly subscription service for access to a library of more than 1,000 titles. The firm enters a crowded field, with Hulu, Netflix, QuiBi, PlutoTV, and Crackle already squabbling for market share. Variety reports the new venture, called Gravitas Movies, will attempt to differentiate itself by offering “attractive indie titles.”
SpaceX’s Starship spacecraft aims to engage in a low altitude test flight this week in South Texas, according to ArsTechnica. In a series of tweets, SpaceX Chief Executive Elon Musk said the test vehicle will include one Raptor rocket engine as opposed to the typical three and noted the vehicle should be “ready to fly again immediately after landing.” Musk hopes to get the vehicle to the Moon or Mars in the near future.
Tech reporter Samson Amore can be reached at email@example.com or (323) 556-8335. Follow him on Twitter @samsonamore.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report April 4: Snap Gets Into Gaming
- SpaceX Moving Starship Test Vehicle Production to Texas
- SpaceX To Cut 10 Percent of Staff
- Silicon Beach Report March 22: Spark Networks Acquires Zoosk for $255 Million
- Silicon Beach Report March 18: Lime Expanding LA Footprint
- Silicon Beach Report June 29: Bird Raises $300 Million
- Silicon Beach Report July 12: Behind the Scenes at Backstage Capital
- Silicon Beach Report Jan. 16: SpaceX Moving Some Operations to Texas