The state stem cell agency has awarded $2.8 million in grants to UCLA and City of Hope National Medical Center for two separate studies employing stem cells to treat cancer.
The California Institute for Regenerative Medicine announced July 19 it had awarded $1.4 million to UCLA scientist Lili Yang to develop a cellular therapy for cancer using blood stem cells.
Yang, a researcher at the Eli and Edythe Broad Center for Regenerative Medicine, will work to genetically modify blood-forming stem cells to create large supplies of invariant natural killer T cells (iNKT) to fight different cancers.
“The treatment protocol we will test with this funding has the potential to become an affordable, universal and off-the-shelf therapy for multiple cancers,” said Yang, a member of the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, in a statement.
The stem cell agency also awarded City of Hope a nearly $1.4 million grant to develop a CAR-T therapy using engineered stem cells to treat recurrent ovarian cancer.
CIRM was created 14 years ago when California voters overwhelmingly approved a $3 billion bond measure for stem cell research and facilities across the state. As of July, it had distributed $2.5 billion in 984 grants to more than 122 California institutions and private companies.
Health business reporter Dana Bartholomew can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @_DanaBart.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- City of Hope Receives $3.7M to Conduct Stem Cell Research on Brain Cancer
- City of Hope Lands Nearly $6M Grant for Stem Cell Study for Sickle Cell Disease
- Stem Cell Agency Awards $11 Million to SoCal Researchers to Fight Disease
- UCLA Launches First-of-Its-Kind Stem Cell Trial to Combat Cancer
- City of Hope Wins $13 Million Grant to Fight Aggressive Brain Cancer
- MAX BioPharma Awarded $1.7 Million to Fight Osteoporosis
- UCLA Scientists Develop Renewable Source of Immune Cells to Fight Cancer
- Biotech Seeks $5B More on Stem Cells