Passenger traffic at Los Angeles International Airport rose 4.5 percent in 2017 to 84.6 million, led by an 8.7 percent surge in international passengers, airport officials announced Jan. 29.
The final 2017 growth rates were more modest than the year-over-year tracking throughout the year in part because December performance was less robust than expected. The holiday travel month saw nearly 7.1 million passengers, up only 3.3 percent from December 2016.
For all of 2017, though, more than 24.8 million international passengers went through LAX as international carriers continued to add flights at a fast clip.
China was the leading market that added flights, including China Xiamen Airlines to and from the Chinese port city of Qingdao, Air China to and from Shenzhen and Hong Kong Airlines to and from Hong Kong. Delta Airlines and Interjet were among those adding flights to and from Mexican cities.
Passenger growth grew 2.8 percent on the domestic side, with just under 60 million passengers in 2017.
A factor in the slowed growth rate may have been the massive terminal shuffling that took place during the second quarter, which impacted more than 20 airlines. That may have discouraged domestic airlines from adding flights during that time. International flights through the Tom Bradley International Terminal were not affected by the shuffle.
Cargo traffic rose 8.2 percent in 2017 to a total of nearly 2.4 million tons. Freight accounted for 95 percent of that total, with mail making up the remaining 5 percent.
Economy, education, energy and transportation reporter Howard Fine can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @howardafine.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Passenger Traffic at LA-Area Airports Up in 2018
- LAX Passenger Traffic Up 6.6 Percent; International Jumps 12 Percent
- LAX Passenger Traffic Up 1% in First Half of 2019, Ontario Up 6.5%
- Area Airports Double National Growth Rate
- LAX Passenger Traffic Jumps 5.6 Percent in May to 7.2 Million
- LAX Passenger Traffic Rises 1.8% in September as International Travel Slide Ends
- Local Airport Passenger Volume Mixed in September: LAX, Ontario Up, Long Beach Down
- Airports Post Mixed Results