Venice’s System1 raises $270 million, SpaceX asks FCC to make exception for low-Earth satellites in subsidized internet program and Overwatch League announces three new teams.
Venice advertising technology firm System1 announced on Monday that it had completed a $270 million financing round led by New York-based Court Square Capital Partners, reports the Business Journal. The company, which was founded in 2013, was formerly known as OpenMail. It advertises itself as the world's largest independent marketplace for keyword pay-per-click advertising
SpaceX does not want the U.S. Federal Communications Commission to exclude its future low-Earth orbit constellation as a potential Connect America Fund award recipient because of the way the agency classifies communications satellites, Space News reports. The Connect America Fund is an FCC initiative to connect an estimated 23 million Americans without internet access, or with slow internet speeds. The agency intends to subsidize up to $198 million to voice and broadband service providers over the next 10 years, starting in 2018.
Three new teams have signed on for the Overwatch League's inaugural season, kicking off January 2018, reports The Hollywood Reporter. Teams for Dallas, Houston and Philadelphia have signed on for the recently announced e-sports league, bringing the grand total for the first season to 12 franchises representing major cities in Asia, Europe and North America.
Technology reporter Garrett Reim can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @garrettreim for the latest in L.A. tech news.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report Dec. 3: SpaceX Sends 64 to Space
- Silicon Beach Report Nov. 15: Snap Subpoenaed
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 14: Electric Scooter Sharing Startup Bird Raises $15 Million
- Satellite Launcher Turns Vision to Constellations
- SpaceX Ramps Up Constellation Efforts
- Venice’s System1 Raises $270 Million
- Silicon Beach Report April 29: SpaceX Revises Starlink Plans
- Silicon Beach Report Dec. 26: Katzenberg Hires More Quibi Executives