Hyperloop One becomes ‘Virgin Hyperloop One’ with investment from Virgin Group, J2 Global acquires two companies and sells three others and Movies Anywhere app launches with backing from major studios.
Hyperloop One Inc. of downtown Los Angeles announced on Thursday that it had changed its name to Virgin Hyperloop One after a significant, but undisclosed investment from Virgin Group, Reuters reports. Virgin Group founder and billionaire Richard Branson joined the board of Hyperloop One as part of the deal. The company plans to develop pods that will transport passenger and mixed-use cargo at speeds of more than 250 miles per hour.
J2 Global of Hollywood said Thursday it acquired an automated email marketing software company and a cloud-based backup company. The firm also sold bioscience public relations firm Cambridge BioMarketing, webhosting business Web24, and healthcare lead generation platform Tea Leaves Health.
Movies Anywhere, a free app and website digital locker service, launches Thursday at 9 p.m. PT, backed by four digital retailers and content from Walt Disney, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox Film, Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. Entertainment — a combined library of more than 7,300 digital movies, Variety reports. Movies purchased digitally from Amazon Video, Google Play, iTunes and Vudu can be accessed in the digital locker across devices and platforms.
Technology reporter Garrett Reim can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @garrettreim for the latest in L.A. tech news.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report April 6: Hyperloop One Asks Public to Suggest U.S. Routes, Selects 11 Regions for Further Study
- Silicon Beach Report Dec. 18: Virgin Hyperloop Raises $50 Million and Names Richard Branson as Chairman
- Hyperloop One Taps Transit Vet
- Silicon Beach Report April 18: Tala Raises $65M to Move into Mexico, India
- Virgin Hyperloop One Elects Former N.Y. Transit Chief as New CEO
- Silicon Beach Report Nov. 8: Cornerstone Acquires Grovo Learning for $24M
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 23: STX Entertainment Acquires Virtual Reality Company Surreal
- Silicon Beach Report Oct. 23: Branson Out at Virgin Hyperloop One