Virgin Orbit launches Vox Space subsidiary, Snap Maps offered real-time coverage of Tuesday’s terror attacks in Manhattan and Breitbart and other conservative outlets escalate anti-SpaceX campaign.
Richard Branson’s Virgin Orbit launched Vox Space, a wholly-owned subsidiary, which aims to provide the national security branches of the U.S. and allied nations with launch services for small satellites bound for Low Earth Orbit, TechCrunch reports. The company is headquartered in Manhattan Beach and will provide launch services using Virgin Orbit's LauncherOne.
During Tuesday’s terror attack in Lower Manhattan, in which a driver in a pickup truck killed eight people and injured 11, Snap Maps, the location-sharing feature that Snapchat introduced this summer, proved to be an effective way to get real-time information on what was happening, Nieman Lab reports. The app included footage of the terrorist incident almost immediately after it happened.
SpaceX has become the target of a sustained campaign of criticism in articles, mostly in conservative publications such as Town Hall, Breitbart and the Daily Caller, for being the beneficiary of U.S. government contracts, Ars Technica reports. The articles, several of which are written by former U.S. Rep. Ron Paul or his associates, have the same general theme: founder Elon Musk has given lavishly to politicians, especially Arizona Sen. John McCain, and is benefiting from cronyism.
Technology reporter Garrett Reim can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @garrettreim for the latest in L.A. tech news.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report Dec. 1: SpaceX Aims to Resume Flights on Dec. 16
- Right Hook
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 21: Steve Bannon Returns to Brentwood’s Breitbart News
- Silicon Beach Report Oct. 26: Snap Hires from Amazon, Huffington Post
- Virgin Orbit Conducts First Successful Launch
- Silicon Beach Report Nov. 16: Ziff Davis Agrees to Buy Mashable for $50 Million
- Silicon Beach Report March 13: SpaceX Plans to Launch Commercial Satellite Tuesday Morning
- Silicon Beach Report May 24: Snap Hires New Diversity Lead