Snap Inc. opens Spectacles store in New York City, across the street from Apple store, NBC Universal plows $200 million more into Buzzfeed, and virtual reality video distribution platform Vrideo shuts down.
Snap Inc. Opens Spectacles Store in NYC, Across Street from Apple Store
Snap Inc. has opened a Snapchat Spectacles pop-up store in New York City on the south east corner of Central Park and across the street from a prominent Apple Store, reports TechCrunch. The store will remain open until New Years and will sell Spectacles, its smart glasses, via a vending machine.
NBC Universal Plows $200M More into Buzzfeed
NBC Universal announced on Monday that had invested $200 million into online media company Buzzfeed, reports Reuters. The new investment, which gives the company a valuation of around $1.7 billion, increases NBC Universal’s stake to $400 million, following an initial $200 million investment last summer.
Virtual Reality Video Distribution Platform Vrideo Shuts Down
Vrideo, a virtual reality video distribution platform, has shut down after the company behind the website said it had run out of cash, reports Variety. The company launched in March of 2015 as a platform for 360 video and raised $2 million in seed capital but couldn’t compete with the likes of YouTube and Facebook.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report Dec. 13: Virtual Reality Developer Survios Raises $50 Million
- Snap Rolls Out New Spectacles
- Silicon Beach Report March 9: Global Crossing Founder Winnick Takes Majority Stake in Streaming Service Qello
- Silicon Beach Report Sept. 21: Tuition.io Raises $7 Million
- Will Silicon Valley Augment Snap’s Reality?
- Silicon Beach Report July 21: Cinq Music Raises $20 Million Series B
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 23: STX Entertainment Acquires Virtual Reality Company Surreal
- Silicon Beach Report July 7: Snapchat Hit with Indecency Class Action