Snapchat Hit with Indecency Class Action
Snapchat was hit with an indecency class action that claims the app regularly distributes sexually explicit content to minors without warning them or their parents, reports the L.A. Business Journal. The lawsuit is seeking class-action status and cites content in the Discover channel section of the app which was published by BuzzFeed, such as the listicle "23 Pictures That Are Too Real If You've Ever had Sex With A Penis."
Buzzfeed Motion Picture Show Tops iTunes
BuzzFeed’s “You Do Two,” the second season of its “You Do You” comedy series, hit the No. 1 spot on Apple’s iTunes chart for TV comedies shortly after it was released on June 26, reports Variety. The series’ episodes last eight to 15 minutes and features young female characters from its short YouTube BuzzFeed Violet sketches.
Snapchat Launches Dual-Lens Filter for Ghostbuster Promotion
A one-day “Ghostbusters'” Snapchat advertising campaign lets users add filters to their pictures and videos using both sides of the phone's camera, reports Adweek. As part of the sponsored-lens campaign, users turn on their phone's front-facing camera to record their reaction as they play a mini-video game where they shoot the character Slimer from the film with a virtual proton pack.
J2 Global May Be Outbid for Gawker Media
As Gawker Media continues through the bankruptcy process, it appears that J2 Global’s $100 million offer for the company may lose out to competing bids, reports the Hollywood Reporter. If J2 Global’s publishing division, Ziff Davis, which is acting as a stalking horse bidder under the sales plan, were outbid, the company would receive millions from the winning bidder for a breakup fee and other expenses.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Oh, Boy! Smut Suit Hits Snapchat
- Snapchat Sued for Exposing Minors to Explicit Content
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 15: Snapchat to Acquire Search Engine App Vurb for $100M
- Downtown Firm Takes Shot at Snapchat Content
- The Virtual Reality Co. Raises $23M: Silicon Beach Afternoon Roundup
- Snapchat Grabs Ex-Fullscreen Exec as 2014 Losses Are Exposed
- Silicon Beach Report July 11: Warner Bros. Settles with FTC Over Undisclosed Promotions
- J2 Global Submits $100M Bid for Gawker Media