Digital media company AwesomenessTV will launch content outside the United States as part of a multiyear agreement with Endemol Shine Group.
The Awesomeness content will launch in markets such as the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Spain and Brazil. It will include original local-language content, as well as existing Awesomeness shows, which will be adapted for international markets.
Endemol Shine Group, a joint venture between Dutch Media company
Endemol and British production company Shine Group, made sense as a partner due to its large international footprint, said AwesomenessTV Chief Digital Officer Kelly Day.
“The idea was that we could take some of the shows and (intellectual property) that we developed in the U.S. and distribute those as digital formats, over (streaming video on-demand platforms) or on linear television,” she said. Endemol has “all the resources that we need, so it was a way for us to expand internationally really quickly, with a partner that was really like-minded.”
As part of its deal, Endemol will distribute and sell local advertisements for a number of Awesomeness’ original online shows, including reality series “Cheerleaders” and teenager-hosted talk show “IMO.” Endemol will also help Awesomeness develop global talent and content.
Awesomeness has been expanding its original content efforts lately. Last week, it hired Shelley Zimmerman, formerly a vice president of scripted programming at Warner Bros. Entertainment, as its new head of scripted series. Zimmerman will lead the company’s efforts to create more original content and adapt its YouTube videos into traditional television formats.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Verizon Buys Stake in AwesomenessTV
- Silicon Beach Report May 1: SpaceX Launches First Spy Satellite
- MCNs Dial Into Foreign Content
- AwesomenessTV Signs United Kingdom Distribution Deal
- Wireless Provider Gets Line on Content with $160 Million Investment
- Silicon Beach Report May 10: Snap Inc. Reports Slow User Growth, Shares Drop More Than 25 Percent
- Snapchat Partners with World Wrestling Entertainment
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 23: SpaceX Reveals Space Suit