Upfront Ventures was the most active investor in Los Angeles tech companies over the last six years with over 30 deals done, according to a report released today by venture capital database CB Insights.
The Santa Monica VC firm has dedicated 50 percent of its investments to Southern California, with more than 85 percent of those investments coming in seed and Series A rounds. By focusing on smaller early rounds Upfront is able to place more bets.
The CB Insights report also said venture capital investment in Los Angeles reached $2 billion in 2014, up 25 percent from the $1.6 billion invested the year earlier. Roughly $700 million was invested in the first quarter, putting this year on track to eclipse that total.
Reflecting the growth of local investors, eight of the 10 most active venture capital investors in Los Angeles over the last six years were headquartered locally.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Investors Bet on Fantasy E-sports Startup
- Report: SpaceX’s $350 Million Round Part of Mega-Round Trend
- L.A. Tech Execs Make 2016 Predictions
- Upfront Ventures Joins Jeff Skoll, Paul Allen Investing Arms in $119M Sale of TrueCar Shares
- Silicon Beach Report April 24: Upfront Ventures Joins Jeff Skoll, Paul Allen Investing Arms in $119M Sale of TrueCar Shares
- HopSkipDrive Raises $10.2 Million
- Collectible Sneaker Reseller Goat Raises $25M
- Silicon Beach Report June 29: Recreational Video Game Competition Super League Gaming Raises $15 Million