The Los Angeles Business Journal’s index of the largest local public companies fell for the week. The weighted LABJ index fell 1 percent to close at 215, with losers outpacing gainers 96 to 58. Seven companies closed the week unchanged.
Santa Monica’s Kite Pharma Inc., a cancer drug developer, was one of the week’s leading gainers. Shares rose 31 percent to close at $79.14 on Friday after the company announced that it had struck a deal with Thousand Oaks biotechnology giant Amgen Inc. to develop and market cancer immunotherapies using Amgen’s cancer targets and Kite’s technology platform.
West L.A. biopharmaceutical firm CytRx Corp. also had a good week. Shares rose 29 percent to close at $28.78 after the company announced positive results from two drug studies: one for the treatment of HIV-related skin cancer and another for the treatment of brain cancer.
Among the stocks trading above a dollar, BreitBurn Energy Partners, a Los Angeles oil and gas drilling partnership, was among the week’s losing stocks. Shares fell 16 percent to close the week at $6.43 after the company announced it was cutting its distributions to shareholders by just over 50 percent.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Tetra Tech, Big 5 Among This Week’s Movers
- Kite Pharma, Medbox Among Week’s Big Movers
- Kite Pharma, California Resources Among Week’s Big Movers
- Health Net, Kite Pharma Among This Week’s Movers
- Stamps.com, Motorcar Parts of America Among Week’s Big Movers
- Macerich, Kite Pharma Among Week’s Big Gainers
- Kite Pharma, Cherokee Among This Week’s Movers