NET WORTH: $3.3 billion 27%
LAST YEAR: $2.6 billion
RESIDENCE: Holmby Hills
SOURCES OF WEALTH: Inheritance, hotels
THE MONEY: Reiterated pledge to donate 97 percent of personal wealth to Conrad N. Hilton Foundation when he dies. Foundation executives and Hilton himself said the donation would more than double the $2 billion fund. He cashed out of hotel business in 2007 and today keeps much of his money in blue-chip stocks.
BUZZ: Chairman emeritus of Conrad N. Hilton Foundation stepped down as acting board chair last year after five years in role; son Stephen took his place. Foundation, named for Barron’s father, moved into new 70-acre headquarters in Agoura Hills from former Century City digs. Larger space preparation for influx of funds upon Barron’s death, when foundation expects to swell from 40 employees to 100. Fan of aviation since his days in aeronautical school at USC, attended 10th annual Living Legends aviation awards in Beverly Hills this year. Hilton hotel empire was founded in 1919 when Conrad bought a 40-room hotel in Cisco, Texas. Barron joined family biz in 1954; named chief executive in 1966. Has eight children and six grandchildren, including reality TV celebrities Paris and Nicky.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Wealthiest Angelenos: William Barron Hilton - #15
- 50 Wealthiest: William Barron Hilton #16
- The 50 Wealthiest Angelenos: William Barron Hilton #15
- 10. William Barron Hilton
- The 50 Wealthiest Angelenos: 13. William Barron Hilton
- Wealthiest Angelenos: 12. WILLIAM BARRON HILTON
- Wealthiest Angelenos: 14, William Barron Hilton
- The 50 Wealthiest Angelenos: William Barron Hilton - #15