Employers would face fines as high as $20,000 for hiring undocumented workers and have to screen all new hires as part of legislation that would grant legal status to millions of illegal immigrants.
The Senate voted overwhelmingly Wednesday to limit debate on election-year immigration legislation, clearing the way for final passage later this week of a bill that calls for tougher border security as well as an eventual chance at citizenship for millions of men and women in the country illegally.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- IMMIGRANTS---Organized Labor Changes Stance on Immigration Rules
- Ready to Join the Protests?
- Business Strategically Silent on Immigration
- Morning Headlines
- Deportation Policy Could Hurt L.A.’s Economy
- Immigration Deal Takes Shape
- Employers and Workers Are Victims of New Immigration Policy