FilmLA, the partner film office for the city and county of L.A., said it processed 1,125 permit applications in March, up from 777 in February.
“The current pace of business resumption is encouraging,” FilmLA President Paul Audley said in a statement.
Audley added that the industry's adherence to county guidelines for production safety protocols has made film and TV sets some of the "safest possible workplaces during the pandemic."
He also said that despite the local increase in vaccinations, it remains important for the industry to stick to these guidelines.
Even with the March surge, production has plenty of ground to make up to match pre-pandemic levels. FilmLA reported 7,011 total shoot days for the first quarter of 2021, a decline of 3.3% from the same period in 2020 and a 21.7% drop from the five-year average.
Television production, however, saw a major uptick in shoot days, increasing 50% year over year to 3,766 days. Reality TV accounted for 1,514 shoot days, or roughly 40%, of all television production. TV Dramas made up 1,459, or 38.7%, of those shoot days.
Feature film production activity fell 13.5% in the first quarter compared to the same time period last year with 575 total shoot days. Commercial production was off 18.2% with 993 shoot days for the quarter.
Shoot days in FilmLA's “other” category, which includes music videos and student projects, dropped 41.8% year over year from 2,882 shoot days in the first quarter of 2020 to 1,677 in the first quarter of 2021.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Small Business Development Center Steps Up During Pandemic
- MBA & Master's Guide: UCLA Anderson School of Management
- Eight Things an Accounting Adviser May Do for You
- 2021's LA500 Speaker: Jennifer Post
- MBA & Master's Guide: California State University, Northridge - David Nazarian College of Business and Economics
- The Private Company Guide to Effective Internal Controls
- 2021 CRE Awards: LA Memorial Coliseum Renovation Reflects Trojan Pride
- 2021 Real Estate Strategies Speaker: Jim Kruse