Snapchat links with Naughty America; Aerojet Rocketdyne explores battery storage market; Tyffon raises nearly $8 million
El Segundo-based defense manufacturer Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings Inc. announced May 21 it will partner with Missouri-based ZAF Energy Systems Inc. to develop energy storage systems. Terms of the partnership were not disclosed but Socaltech reports the partnership will develop nickel-zinc batteries, thought to be a longer-lasting and more efficient alternative to the lead-acid batteries currently on the market.
Santa Monica-based social imaging company Snap Inc.’s augmented reality “lenses” featured in its Snapchat app will now feature pornography, Variety reports. Snap’s NSFW offerings are part of a partnership with adult entertainment firm Naughty America, which will offer its 3D holograms of adult performers in the Snapchat app to existing paid Naughty America subscribers. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed. Variety notes Naughty America is also releasing development tools for users to create their own lenses, if desired.
Virtual reality entertainment firm Tyffon Inc., based in Santa Monica, announced May 20 it raised a $7.8 million series A, bringing its total funding since the company’s 2011 founding to $12.2 million. Tyffon develops free-roam virtual reality technology that simulates adventures such as haunted pirate ships or haunted houses. The company is a graduate of Burbank-based Walt Disney Co.’s Disney Accelerator 2014 class and s backed by Disney and Tokyo Broadcasting Systems.
Tech reporter Samson Amore can be reached at email@example.com or (323) 556-8335. Follow him on Twitter @samsonamore.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report May 22: Precellerator Begins New Class
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 18: Catapult Capital Acquires JibJab
- Silicon Beach Report May 17: Aerojet Rocketdyne, Spacex Chosen for Moon Lander Project
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 14: Snapchat Gives Creators AR Power
- Silicon Beach Report June 29: Bird Raises $300 Million
- Silicon Beach Report April 5: GumGum Sinks Teeth Into New Dental Venture
- Snap Acquires AI Factory for $166 Million
- Silicon Beach Report May 8: Snap Inc. Reportedly Disinterested in Snapchat Users in the Developing World