Bird lays off 5 percent of workforce; LA attracting talent with commerce; Snap considers in-app gaming
Santa Monica-based e-scooter company Bird Rides Inc. has laid off roughly 5 percent of its 900-person staff, cutting an estimated 40 people. The Business Journal reports the company said the cuts are “are a reflection of shifting geographical needs and our annual talent review process,” and added it is “shifting geographic workforce needs.”
Cheddar reports Snap Inc. plans to launch a mobile game platform in April, which will feature games that run exclusively in the Snapchat app. The Santa Monica-based social media outfit hasn’t revealed specifically what games will be on the platform, but it has already acquired several game developers for undisclosed sums, including Prettygreat Ltd. and PlayCanvas Ltd.
A boom in e-commerce startups is attracting tech talent from across the country to Los Angeles, according to a new Digiday report. The report notes e-commerce startups find it easier to acquire L.A.-based talent than they did 10 years ago. The city is home to a rising number of local e-commerce companies such as GOAT Group, HauteLook and Dollar Shave Club. Greg Betinelli, partner at Upfront Ventures in Santa Monica, told Digiday he thinks “we’re still in the very early innings of Los Angeles’ success.”
Tech reporter Samson Amore can be reached at email@example.com or (323) 556-8335. Follow him on Twitter @samsonamore.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report July 3: Creators Capitalize on Snap Commerce
- Silicon Beach Report June 29: Bird Raises $300 Million
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 15: TrueCar Purchases Accu-Trade Stake
- Silicon Beach Report July 24: March Capital Partners Raises $12 Million
- Silicon Beach Report April 9: Coozie Launches, Backed by Science
- Bird Lays Off Roughly 5 Percent of Staff
- Silicon Beach Report June 14: Influential Secures $12 Million in Series B Funding
- Silicon Beach Report April 4: Snap Gets Into Gaming