Comcast might sell Hulu stake; Savonix gains Wavemaker investment; SpaceX Dragon accident examined by NASA.
Comcast is reportedly in talks with Burbank-based Walt Disney Co. regarding the sale of its 30% stake in Santa Monica-based streaming service Hulu, though nothing is finalized, the LA Business Journal reports. Comcast is reportedly launching its own streaming service in 2020, and Disney has reportedly said that Hulu isn’t expected to reach profitability until 2024, but Comcast could still gain roughly $5 billion if it sells its stake. Disney currently holds a 60% stake in Hulu.
Santa Monica-based Wavemaker Partners led a $9.6 million Series A round for cognitive health startup Savonix Inc., based in San Francisco. Socaltech reports the round was an extension of Savonix’s Series A, which now totals $14.7 million. The company develops a cognitive testing platform called Savonix Mobile that assesses brain health through mobile devices.
SpaceX’s Dragon capsule failed during an engine test last weekend and NASA is reportedly concerned the setback may push back its deadline for a planned 2020 manned flight to the International Space Station, the first since 2011. The Washington Post reports SpaceX is working with NASA to investigate failed test, noting that the purpose of test flights is to reveal problems before the craft lifts off. Little information has been released so far on the cause of the failure or the extent of the damage.
Tech reporter Samson Amore can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (323) 556-8335. Follow him on Twitter @samsonamore.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report July 15: FX Plus Shut Down by Disney
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 25: NASA Approves Dragon Vehicle
- Silicon Beach Report May 17: Aerojet Rocketdyne, Spacex Chosen for Moon Lander Project
- Silicon Beach Report April 22: ZipRecruiter Executive Resigns Amid Misconduct Allegations
- Silicon Beach Report March 4: SpaceX Crew Dragon Reaches Space Station
- Silicon Beach Report May 14: Disney Buys Out Hulu Stake
- Silicon Beach Report March 8: Rogue Co. Rakes in $1.25 Million
- Silicon Beach Report May 2: Hulu Hits 28 Million Subscribers