Wavemaker names new executive in residence; Snapchat releases filters for your cat’s face; Cloud9 Esports raises $54 million
E-sports organization Cloud9 Esports Inc. raised a $53.6 Series B round today, the Business Journal Reports. Part of these funds will help Cloud9 build a Los Angeles headquarters that will double as a training ground and arena for Cloud9’s various teams. The funding round was led by Chicago-based Valor Equity Partners and included participation from Venice-based Reimagined Ventures, TrueBridge Capital Partners and Glassdoor Inc. founder Robert Hohman.
Trent Johnson, former director of Los Angeles practice at Seattle-based firm Slalom Consulting is Wavemaker Partners’ new executive-in-residence, Socaltech reports. Johnson joins the Sawtelle-headquartered venture capital firm to provide operating advice and support for Wavemaker’s portfolio companies located in both Los Angeles and Southeast Asia.
Snap Inc.’s Snapchat app now has a way to add its popular face filters to pets. According to Engadget, Snapchat is focusing on cats in a bid to keep its users engaged with the video and image-messaging app, after using 3 million daily users in just about three months. The cat face filters were announced Oct. 15, roughly a year after Snapchat introduced object recognition and included filters for dogs.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Cloud9 Plans New Esports Facility
- Silicon Beach Report May 22: Precellerator Begins New Class
- Silicon Beach Report Dec. 23: Snapchat Launches Filter Game
- Snapchat's Letting You Create Geofilters
- Silicon Beach Report March 5: Cedillo Seeks to Curb Scooters
- Silicon Beach Report April 9: Coozie Launches, Backed by Science
- Silicon Beach Report July 24: March Capital Partners Raises $12 Million
- Top-Read Stories of the Week