EagleTree Capital picked up a majority stake in visual effects company FuseFX; Northrop Grumman landed $792 million Air Force contract; Catalog raised $1.5 million in a seed round.
New York-based EagleTree Capital acquired a majority stake in Sherman Oaks-based visual effects studio FuseFX for an undisclosed sum Oct. 11, according to the Hollywood Reporter. FuseFX was founded in 2006 and has provided visual effects for television shows such as “American Horror Story;” “Criminal Minds;” and “Mr. Robot.” In addition to its headquarters in LA, FuseFX operates offices in Vancouver, Canada and New York City.
ArsTechnica reports the United States Air Force announced the winners of its “launch service agreements,” funds awarded to rocket companies to finish their booster development. Northrop Grumman Corp., which has operations in Redondo Beach (and predominantly launches from Vandenberg Air Force Base), was awarded $791.6 million for its Omega launch system, while Hawthorne-based Space Exploration Technologies Corp. received no Air Force Funding this time around. According to ArsTechnica’s Eric Berger, the likely reason SpaceX was excluded is because it has already successfully flown its Falcon Heavy rocket, which is already Air Force-certified and has received Air Force grants.
Catalog, based in Los Angeles, raised $1.5 million in a seed funding round led by Marina Del Rey venture capital firm Moonshots Capital. Socaltech reports Catalog’s business model entails utilizing artificial intelligence algorithms to help visual artists automate production of brand product photos at roughly $20 per shot. According to the company, it is engaged in pilot programs with Sony Music Entertainment Inc. and National Geographic Ventures Inc., the content production arm of National Geographic Society.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report July 27: Bird Rides Expands to Oregon
- Northrop Settles Rocket Dispute With SpaceX
- Silicon Beach Report June 24: Insight Acquires PCM
- Silicon Beach Report Nov. 7: Riot Games Sued
- Silicon Beach Report Dec. 12: Miso Robotics Hires COO to Help Expand Restaurant Installations
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 24: Battery Pack Manufacturer Romeo Power Raises $30 Million
- Northrop Takes One Giant Leap
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 6: Facebook Joins Forces With MomentFeed Startup