Passenger traffic at Los Angeles International Airport rose 4.1 percent in April compared to last year and was up 5.5 percent for the first four months of this year, according to figures released May 25 by airport officials.
Los Angeles World Airports, the L.A. city agency that runs LAX, reported more than 7.1 million passengers went through the airport in April, down very slightly from 7.2 million passengers in March, but up 4.1 percent from nearly 6.9 million passengers last April.
International passenger traffic growth, which had surged in March, moderated in April. Nearly 2.1 million international travelers passed through LAX in April, roughly the same number as in March and up about 4 percent from last April. That’s a much slower growth rate than the nearly 12 percent year-over-year figure from March.
Nearly 5.1 million domestic travelers passed through LAX in April, again roughly the same number as in March and up 4.2 percent from last April.
For the first four months of 2018, about 27.1 million passengers went through LAX, up 7.1 percent from 25.7 million for the same period last year. International traffic rose 7.1 percent to 8 million, while domestic traffic rose 4.8 percent to 19.1 million.
The amount of air cargo tonnage moving through LAX rose 2 percent in April to nearly 196,000 tons. For the first four months of 2018, air cargo tonnage was up 3.6 percent to 761,000 tons.
Economy, education, energy and transportation reporter Howard Fine can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @howardafine.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- LAX Passenger Traffic Up 6.6 Percent; International Jumps 12 Percent
- LAX Passenger Traffic Up 5.3 Percent in May, 5.4 Percent Year-to-Date
- LAX Passenger Traffic Rises 1.8% in September as International Travel Slide Ends
- LAX Passenger Traffic Up 3.2 Percent in July, 4.8 Percent Year-to-Date
- LAX Passenger Traffic Up 3.7 Percent in June, 5.1 Percent Year-to-Date
- LAX, Long Beach Airport Passenger Traffic Surged in August
- LAX Passenger Traffic Up 1 Percent in April
- LAX Traffic Tumbles 96% in April