The Los Angeles City Council has taken the first step towards banning controversial building-covering supergraphic signs in Hollywood.
The council approved a motion Tuesday for a permanent ban on supergraphics in Hollywood. Council President Eric Garcetti, whose district includes Hollywood, introduced the motion on July 6. A temporary moratorium on supergraphic signs has been in place for nearly two years.
In the motion language, Garcetti cited mounting concern in the Hollywood community about supergraphic signs.
Earlier this year, City Attorney Carmen Trutanich conducted a high-profile crackdown on supergraphic signs in Hollywood. The crackdown included jailing the owner of a building on $1 million bail and charging him with violating the city’s temporary ban. Other building owners and sign companies received cease and desist orders. Several supergraphic signs were taken down.
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce claims it was not consulted about an outright ban.
“What is most disturbing to us is that there was absolutely no consultation with the business community on a matter that may have serious impacts on future development in Hollywood,” Hollywood Chamber Chairman Sam Smith said in a statement issued late Tuesday.
Garcetti responded that the issue of a supergraphics ban in Hollywood has been publicly debated for nearly two years. He also said there would be ample opportunity for the Hollywood Chamber and other businesses to air their points of view in the next three weeks as the proposed ban comes back to the Council for consideration.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.