VCA Inc. announced Friday that its lab division, Antech Diagnostics Inc., has agreed to buy the assets of Abaxis Veterinary Reference Laboratory from medical products company Abaxis Inc. of Union City for $21 million in cash.
The West L.A. animal hospital and laboratory operator said Antech and Abaxis will market a service that includes Abaxis point-of-care diagnostic products and Antech’s lab services.
“We see great benefit in the relationship between two demonstrated leaders in veterinary diagnostics and this only strengthens the respective sales and marketing capabilities of Antech Diagnostics and Abaxis,” said Antech President Josh Drake in a statement.
VCA operates the largest networks of freestanding, full-service pet hospitals and diagnostic pet laboratories in the country.
The deal should close by the end of the month.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- VCA Antech Buys Veterinary Marketing Company, Clinic Chain
- VCA Antech Adds to Pet Clinics
- Antech Stock Isn't in Doghouse Despite 'Woof' Ticker Symbol
- VCA Antech Reports Lower Profit
- Veterinary Hospital Chain Yanked by Shareholder
- Off the Leash
- Analysts Wag Tails Over L.A. Vet Hospital Operator
- Investors Howling Over Veterinary Chain Earnings