California officials approved SBC Communications Inc.'s purchase of AT & T; Corp. on Friday, clearing the final regulatory hurdle for the $16 billion deal and opening the way for the historic telephone merger to close immediately.
The California Public Utility Commission also gave their consent to Verizon Communications Inc.'s planned purchase of MCI Inc. for about $7.5 billion, though that deal is still awaiting approval in other states.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- FCC Approves Two Major Deals
- SBC, AT & T; Reportedly Talking Merger
- SBC to Acquire AT & T; for $16 Billion
- AT&T-DirecTV Mega Merger Gets Green Light
- SBC Takeover Will Lead to Losses of Local Telecom Jobs
- AT&T, DirecTV Merger Clears Final Hurdle
- SBC to Cut 13,000 Jobs After AT & T; Purchase
- SBC Takeover Will Lead to Losses Of Local Telecommunications Jobs