Carson-based Southwind Foods has reached an agreement to purchase all of the assets of Desert Gold Inc., the companies announced Friday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
The Carson company distributes fresh and frozen seafood and delivers to retailers such as Whole Foods Market Inc., Albertsons, Smart & Final and Gelson’s Market restaurants, as well as foodservice companies and distributors such as Sysco Corp. in California, Nevada and Utah under brands including Great American Seafood Import Co.
“We are very excited about this opportunity. We have known and respected the management team at Desert Gold for many years, and they have done a great job of serving the markets they focus on,” said Buddy Galletti, chief executive of Southwind Foods, in a statement.
The acquisition includes the manufacturing and distribution facilities of Desert Gold, and is expected to add 100 employees to Southwind’s 350-person staff.
He said the Las Vegas, Nev.-based Desert Gold, a seafood distributor to California, Arizona and Nevada, is expected to continue to operate “in the same successful manner it has been operating for a long time.”
Southwind President Sam Galletti said the deal is expected to increase Southwind’s seafood business by 25 percent in an interview with Undercurrent News.
Southwind did not return calls for comment.
Manufacturing and trade reporter Shwanika Narayan can be reached at email@example.com or 323-556-8351. Follow her on Twitter @shwanika.
You May Also Like
- Butterfly Acquires Pacifico Aquaculture in Mexico
- Chicken of the Sea Moves North American HQ to El Segundo
- Packaging Manufacturer Fleetwood-Fibre Acquired
- Provenance Private Equity Firm Invests in Menswear Brand
- SnackNation Acquires EdgiLife
- Beyond Meat Plans Global Distribution
- Battery Companies Charge Into Deal
- Macerich, Simon to Build 400,000-plus SF Retail Outlet Mall in Carson