Tinder adds videos, Snap seeks active users, AeroVironment works with NASA
CNN Tech reports that Venice-based Snap Inc. has fallen behind Instagram Inc. when it comes to active users of the apps’ platforms. Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, reported June 28 that it sees more than 400 million active users each day, compared to Snapchat’s 191 million users. Snapchat’s daily active users are still increasing - activity has increased 15 percent over last quarter. During a May earnings report, Snap reported $230.7 million revenue in the first three months of 2018, up 54 percent from the previous quarter but down 19 percent sequentially.
Monrovia-based AeroVironment Inc., manufacturer of drones, announced a collaboration with the NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory to create a drone capable of flying on Mars. Called the Mars Helicopter, AeroVironment’s project is now being constructed with NASA at the lab, with plans to launch it to Mars in under three years, the Los Angeles Business Journal reports.
West Hollywood dating app developer Tinder Inc. announced July 5 that its platform will soon include options to add two second looped videos to dating profiles. The feature differs from a similar one offered by Instagram Inc. and most apps because it doesn’t allow users to shoot the videos inside the Tinder app itself — users have to upload a previously recorded clip or upload live iOS photos. TechCrunch also reports Tinder is changing the threshold of pictures allowed on dating profiles from six to nine.
You May Also Like
- Silicon Beach Report Oct. 5: AeroVironment Lands $13 Million Contract
- Silicon Beach Report Jan. 3: AeroVironment Announces Joint Venture for High-Altitude, Solar-Powered Drone
- Silicon Beach Report August 2: Snap Looking to Buy Chinese Drone Maker Zero Zero
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 16: Tinder Acquires Snapchat-Like App Wheel
- Silicon Beach Report Sept. 25: ATTN: Raises $15 Million
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 20: Whatsapp Updates with Snapchat-Like Vanishing Content
- Snapchat Photos Can Now Be Viewed Indefinitely
- Silicon Beach Report Dec. 13: Virtual Reality Developer Survios Raises $50 Million