We’re pleased to share our Minority Leaders of Influence: Attorneys special edition.
Based on California Bar Association statistics, the percentage of overall attorneys practicing in California today, who also happen to be minorities, has been steadily growing since the 1970s. In 1974, for example, California’s legal profession was made up of less than 5% minority practitioners, while last year that statistic reached 22%. While there is still much work to be done in terms of achieving a balance that reflects the diversity of our state’s general population, the statistics continue to improve at a steady clip. The number of minority attorneys newly licensed by the bar last year, in fact, was a solid 47%, so the future looks bright in terms of increasing diversity.
There are some particularly stellar minority attorneys in the Los Angeles region who happen to be from a broad cultural spectrum.
For our coverage in this issue, we accepted nominations from our readers, the legal profession, and businesses throughout the region. From there, we narrowed down those considered to be particularly impactful on the legal scene, while serving as trusted advisors, along with maintaining the highest professional and ethical standards. We thank them all for their significant contributions to the Los Angeles business and legal community at large.
Congratulations to each of the superb legal professionals who made the class of 2021.
With respect and appreciation,
Publisher & CEO
Los Angeles Business Journal
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Top Minority Attorneys: Publisher's Letter
- Minority Leaders Of Influence, Attorneys: Diversity of California’s Legal Profession Continues to Improve
- Minority Leaders Of Influence, Attorneys: State Bar of California’s October 2020 Bar Exam Pass Results are Highest Since 2008
- Minority Leaders Of Influence, Attorneys: Terrence Franklin
- Firm Makes Courting Diversity Full-Time Focus
- Diversity Becomes Bottom-Line Issue
- Minority Leaders Of Influence, Attorneys: Ellisen Turner
- Minority Leaders Of Influence, Attorneys: Demetria L. Graves