Cornerstone OnDemand aids job seekers; SpaceX Starlink’s astronomical implications; Snap working to integrate music
Socaltech reports Santa Monica-based talent management firm Cornerstone OnDemand’s nonprofit arm, the Cornerstone OnDemand Foundation, announced May 28 it will launch a set of free online learning programs to help job seekers in L.A. The company has partnered with the L.A. Area Chamber of Commerce’s Bixel Exchange to give under-represented job seekers access to tools that can help them prepare for job interviews, learn to network, and enhance communication and critical thinking skills.
Santa Monica-based Snap Inc. is negotiating with Sony Music Entertainment, Warner Music Group and Universal Music Group to license music libraries to integrate into the Snapchat app, Variety reports. The new feature would be similar to Facebook Inc.-owned Instagram’s Spotify integration, which lets users share and play songs directly through shared posts. Snapchat already allows use of music from SiriusXM Radio’s Pandora streaming service in its posts.
12,000 satellites is the ideal number Hawthorne-based SpaceX wants to send into orbit to complete its worldwide high-speed internet network called Starlink, but astronomers caution sending that many up. A new report from Engadget notes that Elon Musk will consider ways to reduce Starlink's impact after reports from Harvard-Smithsonian Center astronomists noted a completed Starlink would more than triple the number of satellites in orbit and could “complicate” our view of the night sky. That said, Musk’s satellites will only have a lifespan of five years in space before they crash back to Earth, so overcrowding might be somewhat temporary.
Tech reporter Samson Amore can be reached at email@example.com or (323) 556-8335. Follow him on Twitter @samsonamore.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report May 24: Snap Hires New Diversity Lead
- Silicon Beach Report April 29: SpaceX Revises Starlink Plans
- Silicon Beach Report April 4: Snap Gets Into Gaming
- Silicon Beach Report July 8: 3L Capital Raises $217 Million
- Silicon Beach Report July 23: Snapchat Shutters SnapCash
- Silicon Beach Report April 5: GumGum Sinks Teeth Into New Dental Venture
- Silicon Beach Report Nov. 15: Snap Subpoenaed
- Silicon Beach Report June 7: SpaceX Preps For $1 Billion Satellite Launch