Bird paid $25 million for Scoot; Sure raises $23 million; Disney Plus subscriber projections
Santa Monica-based insurance technology startup Sure Inc. raised $23.1 million in a series B round, BuiltinLA reports. W.R. Berkley Corp., an insurance holding company, led the round. Sure has raised $33.7 million to date. Sure sells travel insurance online and via its smartphone application.
The Wall Street Journal reports that Santa Monica-based escooter operator Bird Rides Inc. paid roughly $25 million to acquire competitor Scoot Networks Inc., based in San Francisco. Originally, it was thought Bird would pay $70 million for the acquisition.
Morgan Stanley analysts predict that Burbank- based Walt Disney Co.’s online streaming venture will reach 130 million paid subscribers within five years. Variety reports that the analysts also noted in a presentation to Disney investors that Disney Plus will likely only reach 10% of consumers by 2024, as compared to competitor Netflix Inc.’s 30% reach.
Tech reporter Samson Amore can be reached at email@example.com or (323) 556-8335. Follow him on Twitter @samsonamore.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report June 12: Bird Acquires Scoot
- Bird Acquires Scoot Networks
- Bird Raises $275 Million Series D
- Silicon Beach Report Jan. 17: Netflix Grows Subscriber Base
- Silicon Beach Report June 6: Google Funds Backstage Accelerator
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 25: NASA Approves Dragon Vehicle
- Silicon Beach Report June 12: Bird Looking to Raise More Cash at $2 Billion Valuation