Last month, the National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO) announced results from its annual membership survey sponsored by Bizwomen. The survey provides transparency on the economic climate from the viewpoint of women business owners, who will continue to be a growing force in our nation’s economy for years to come.
For 2019, the top three business challenges identified were: finding ways to drive growth (58%), finding time to focus on core business (47%), and finding high-quality employees (28%).
“Nearly a third of our members want to hire new employees but struggle to find qualified candidates to fill their empty positions. We must bridge this gap,” said Molly Gimmel, NAWBO National Board Chair. “Lawmakers need to look at the workforce and see how we educate the growing unskilled labor force. This problem looms over not only our NAWBO members, but all small business owners across America.”
“On the bright side, despite the challenges these women face, they continue to remain positive, with 99% planning to either increase or maintain their number of employees or contractors and 45% saying they are optimistic for their business and the economy overall,” continued Gimmel.
Highlights of this year’s survey include:
- Top Three Policy Impacts: 48% are impacted by taxes and regulation, 23% workforce issues, 11% government contracting and disparity studies
- Top Three Congressional Action Items: 50% Address healthcare costs, 15% Make the tax cuts permanent, 14%Invest in America’s infrastructure
- Cyber: 46% have not done anything to prevent or prepare for a cybersecurity incident
- Retirement: 67% are saving for retirement, but 58%have not done any succession planning for their business
To learn more, please visit nawbo.org.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- 2019 Women's Council & Awards: Attracting and Retaining Women in the Workplace
- Los Angeles Business Journal Women's Council: Survey Shows Women Business Owners Plan to Hire More and Expand their Businesses
- Weekend Getaway Guide: Survey Finds More Will Hit the Open Road in 2019
- Spotlight on Education: Survey Reveals that MBA Graduates are Seen as More Desirable to Employers
- Leaders in Law 2018: Leaders in the Sky - A Letter from American Airlines
- NAWBO National Partners with UCLA
- Women's Council & Awards 2018: Gender Parity: Making the Business Case for Diversity in the Workplace
- Who's Building L.A: Addressing the Workforce Skills Gap in Construction and CRE-Related Trades